Reflection on Disability Reading

1:35 PM vivvzh 0 Comments

After getting a brief overview on the history of disability rights in class, I did some reading about the experience of being disabled and best practices for respecting those with different abilities. In "A Day in the Life of Four Wheelers," four people who use wheelchairs describe their lives. What struck me most was Alex Ghenis's description of his 2 hour-long morning routine, which starts at 6am and is facilitated by his personal attendant. This is an aspect of life I never really thought about. My morning routine varies according to my day-to-day schedule. Some mornings I'll spend a couple hours leisurely getting dressed, having breakfast, etc. Other mornings I'll be rushing out the door. In contrast, Alex is bound by a strict and extensive daily schedule consisting of several chair changes. Seemingly simple things, like getting out of bed, require a lot of thought and maneuvering for people who are disabled. Small inefficiencies add up, making routine activities much more arduous and tiresome. Adaptive technologies must be designed to reduce this sort of everyday friction. 

Photo by Eric Stampfli


0 comments: