Keychain

8:56 PM vivvzh 0 Comments




Breaking news: I can operate heavy machinery now. In ENGR 111 Class 4, I learned how to use a band saw and a drill press, making a cute keychain in the process.




Band Saw and Drill Press Safety Rules

1. No loose clothing, hair, or jewelry. Don’t let anything get caught in the machines.
2. Always use goggles when machines are operating, even if you’re far away.
3. Keep fingers away from moving part of machine at all times. Use sacrificial wood blocks to avoid sacrificing fingers.
4. Don’t use the machines at night or when you’re tired. Stay focused.
5. Make sure the machine you’re using works with the material you’re trying to shape. For example, never use a regular chuck with sheet metal.
6. Use peck drilling to allow time for material to pass through the chucks.
7. Make sure everything is securely fastened, including your material and your machine. Though the two machines were pretty snazzy, they did have their pros and cons. The drill press was efficient at making holes through aluminum, but wasn’t so accurate. It was particularly hard to drill smaller holes; a few of the chucks even broke. The band saw was similarly efficient, but its blades were thick, making it difficult to execute detailed designs. In addition, the band saw could only cut straight lines through the material and was unable to handle turns of any kind.


My design sketch
The challenge was to create an aluminum keychain using these two machines and an aluminum block. I sketched out the design before I tried to execute it, not knowing if it was possible. The sharp “V” shapes I wanted to create on each side of the keychain were of particular concern because I was unsure if the thick band saw would be able to produce my vision.

I was pleasantly surprised! Though the keychain would certainly have benefited from more precise equipment and more pre-production measurements, I was happy with how my final product aligned with its original design. I now proudly carry it around on my backpack.





0 comments: